Hello all! I have taken quite a long vacation from blogging workshop news, but I am now back to it and will do my best to keep you updated. I have been doing lots of repairs on many violins recently…
I have finished up a F5 mandolin that I didn’t have ready before Grey Fox. Here are some pics from the finishing up process…
I like to make sure the bridge fits perfectly to the top, so it gets a good transfer of sound.
I use my No. 5 gouge to cut the circumference of the feet.
I am also making a lot of progress on the A-model I have been working on. I have been cutting out the inlay for the peg head. I know a lot of modern makers now rely on laser technology to do this kind of work, but I find it so enjoyable exacting the fine detailed work by hand. I spot glue the negative inlay cut out to position the peg head laminate.
I am also preparing the fingerboard. I am squaring up the sides, and then it will be time to slot it for the frets….the progress continues.
Here is a closing pic from the view we saw from a hike my family and I went on yesterday in the Adirondacks.